LaBiomista is a nature-based solution that is re-using a disused zoo to provide a studio, exhibition and public space. LaBiomista is a public-private partnership bringing art, wildlife and people together. The old zoo infrastructure and greenspaces are being retained to provide a unique environment in which to support people in understanding their relationship with the natural world around them and how they influence it.
• Green space management: biodiversity/nature conservation
• Climate resilience: urban cooling, carbon storage
• Air quality: interception of pollutants
• Water management: provides water storage benefits compared to a hard infrastructure comparison
• Public health and wellbeing: reconnecting people with nature/improving mental/physical wellbeing
• Potential for economic opportunities and green jobs: potential to generate jobs and attract tourism to Genk